On Friday, Nov. 17 the Van Meter Bulldogs brought home their first football State title with a 28-7 win over the Iowa City, Regina Regals. This is the Bulldogs’ first football State title.

The first quarter was a lot of back-and-forth, until there was just under two minutes left. Anthony Lowman carried the ball down the field to the 31 yard line for the Bulldogs where he was run out of bounds.

Following Lowman’s run, Blake Fryar sent the ball 22 yards to Sam Thompson, who ran the ball in for a the first touchdown. With a successful PAT from Sam Bardwell, the score was 7-0 with 1:46 left in the first quarter.

The Regals ended the quarter with the ball, but their possession didn’t last long in the beginning of the second quarter.

The Regals fumbled the ball on their first play, but Connor Guess recovered the ball to allow the Bulldogs to gain possession. With 11:52, the Bulldogs had their first possession of the second quarter.

Carson Rhodes carried the ball on the Bulldogs’ first play, but it looked as though he had dropped the ball while being tackled. Luckily, Chris Reams recovered the ball for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs didn’t make it far enough down the field for a touchdown before the Regals had the ball back.

The Bulldogs were able to stop the Regals though, after Thompson intercepted a pass. Unfortunately, the Regals came back with an interception on the next play, but the also fumble the ball.

Jack Trudo caught the fumble and took the ball the last few yards into the end zone. With 6:38 left in the half, the Bulldogs led 14-0.

The Bulldogs were able to stop the Regals from scoring at the end of the half with a broken up pass in the end zone and an interception. The half ended with the Bulldogs leading 14-0.

Just like the first quarter, the third got off to a slow start, going back and forth.

With seven minutes left in the quarter, Lowman returned the Regals’ punt down the 13 yard line. After the punt return, the Bulldogs inched their way to the goal line. With 6:36 left, Rhodes carried the ball one yard into the end for the touchdown.

Following Rhodes’ touchdown, Bardwell scored the extra point to put the Bulldogs up 21-0.

The quarter continued to go back and forth, ending 21-0.

The Regals began the fourth quarter with the possession, but immediately had a false start to push them back. This didn’t stop them though.

With 11:18 still left in the game, Isaac Vollstedt carried the ball 46 yards for the Regals for a touchdown. Vollstedt also kicked the PAT and put the scored at 21-7.

The Bulldogs began their possession from the 35 yard line. Fryar quickly began their possession by carrying the ball to the 49 yard line.

A few plays later, Rhodes carried the ball to the 14 yard line. On the next play, he ran the ball the last 14 yard for the Bulldogs’ final touchdown of the game. After Bardwell’s kick, the Bulldogs led 28-7.

The Bulldogs continued to hold the Regals off the last seven and a half minutes of the game.

The Bulldogs ended the game with a 28-7 victory, the season with a 13-0 record and with the Class 1A State Championship.

Full of excitement, coach Eric Trudo exclaimed, “I would just like to say a big thank you on behalf of our team for all the support this season! It was an incredible run and it wasn’t easy, but that makes it worth it! It is a very special moment for our team, school and community. All the support has been overwhelming and I’m just so happy for all Bulldogs! GO DAWGS!”