The Dallas Center-Grimes Mustangs tipped off 2018 with a home game against the Boone Toreadors. Unfortunately, they also tipped it off with a 61-48 loss.

A minute and a half into the game, Toreador John Herrick scored a three pointer to start the game. Just 30 seconds later, Tyler Cooney returned for a field goal for the Mustangs.

With a field goal, Trevor Vanpelt allowed the Toreadors to get a three point lead. Luckily Cooney was able to make another field goal while being fouled. Cooney was given a free throw, which he made, and the score was tied at 5-5.

Cooney gave the Mustangs the lead when he scored his third field goal of the game. The Mustangs were up 7-5.

Although they had two fouls called against them, the Mustangs continued to lead after Damon Clapper scored a three pointer.

The Toreadors didn’t score again until there was 2:30 left in the first quarter. Herrick made a field goal while being fouled by Justin Biegger. Herrick scored his free throw and put the score at 10-8.

Justin Protzman scored a three pointer for the Mustangs, but with 30 seconds left Justin Aspengren ended the quarter with a field goal for the Toreadors. The quarter ended with the Mustangs leading 13-10.

The second quarter began with a foul called against Cooney that gave Toreador Dresden Wilson two free throws. Wilson only made one, but he was followed by seven points scored from his fellow teammates.

It wasn’t until there was about five minutes left in the quarter that Cooney scored for the Mustangs. With his points, the Mustangs trailed 18-15.

Jordan Humphreys put the Mustangs within one point of the Toreadors when he made both of his free throws after being fouled.

Both teams scored another two points before Toreador Derek Rhinehart made a three pointer. Clapper followed Rhinehart’s shot with a field goal that allowed the Mustangs to trail by two (23-21).

Unfortunately, the point went back and forth until the end of the half. When the buzzer sounded the Toreadors led 28-25.

Clapper started the second half with a field goal, only to have Herrick follow it with a field goal for the Toreadors.

The Toreadors put up another two points before Cooney could score again for the Mustangs. Cooney made a free throw and the scoreboard read 32-28.

Another four points were made by the Toreadors before Mustang Tyler Borneman made one. With 2:50 left in the third quarter the score was 36-29.

Protzman followed Borneman’s free throw with two points. His points were the Mustangs’ last of the quarter.

Aspengren and Herrick finished off the third quarter scoring five points for the Toreadors and put the score at 41-31.

Just 15 seconds into the fourth quarter, Cooney scored a three pointer for the Mustangs. Following his shot, Clapper fouled Herrick.

Herrick made both of his free throws and putting the score at 43-34.

In the next two and half minutes, the Toreadors scored five points while the Mustangs made one free throw.

In the next minute, a few fouls allowed the Toreadors to score another three points.

Finally a foul called against Rhinehart gave Biegger two free throw shots. Biegger made both to put the score at 51-38.

Both teams put up another two points before a Toreador field goal and free throw allowed them to outscore the Mustangs.

Finally, with 1:24 left in the game, Borneman score another field goal, but the Mustangs still trailed 56-42.

After fouling, Borneman scored again. This time, he made a three pointer which put the Mustangs within 11 points.

A couple fouls allowed the Toreadors to score three free throws before Jacob Waymire could make the Mustangs’ last three points.

The game ended with a Mustang foul, allowing the Toreadors two more free throws. The Toreadors ended up winning the game 61-48.

With the loss, the Mustangs hold a 6-3 record this season. They will be playing Indianola on Friday, Jan. 5 at 7:45 p.m.