Waukee Schools, City partner for transportation facility

Clint ColeEditor

At the Waukee City Council meeting Monday, the Council approved three resolutions regarding the Waukee Community School District and an agreement to help build a new transportation facility east of the Public Works building.

The first resolution was an agreement approving a property exchange between the City and the Waukee Community School District. The second resolution approved a joint fueling facility 28E Agreement between the City and the School District.

The third resolution allowed them to partner with the school to construct a retention pond at the proposed transportation facility site.

With the first agreement, the city would exchange about 13.95 acres of land at the intersection of 6th Street and University Avenue in Waukee for 9.11 acres of land the School District owns on Westown Parkway, west of LA Grant Parkway, and a payment of $200,000.

The $200,000 would go towards improvements on the joint transportation facility, specifically towards the retention pond on the southeast corner of the land.

The joint fueling facility would “provide joint access and joint service for all of the City of Waukee vehicles as well as the Waukee School District vehicles, including all of their buses, to allow for the purchase of bulk fuel and for the ability for both entities to fuel all of their vehicles,” said Deets.

“The intent is that the fuel facility will provide both the unleaded form of gas as well as diesel form for the school buses in addition to the city’s dump trucks and so forth.”

According to the agreement, the City will pay 38 percent, or roughly $265,000, of the total cost of the project, a percentage based on fueling receipts between the City and the School District over the last five years. The School District would pick up the remaining 62 percent.

The allocation of those costs would be reviewed every five years, once again, relative to the collection of gas receipts by the City and the School District.

“The 28E Agreement essentially establishes the relationship between the school as well as the initial cost of construction and the future obligations for maintenance of that facility,” said Deets.

The retention pond that would be built on the land was described as a “substantial pond” as it will be 4.5 acres in size. That is about half the size of the largest pond they currently have in the Kettlestone development.

It would also be able to incorporate walking trails and other recreational uses.

Including the $200,000 payed by the School District to the City that they will use for the construction of the pond, the City will be responsible for 79 percent of the cost of the pond, compared to the School District’s 21 percent.

Also included in the third agreement was in regards to future improvements to 6th Street and University Avenue as both streets will be widened at some point, according to Deets. The School District would be responsible for the portion of the streets directly adjacent their properties and for 21 percent of the improvements on the rest of the property adjacent the retention pond.

All three resolutions passed unanimously on Monday.