Do you know who you’re caucusing for yet?
The Iowa Caucuses are just three days away. On Monday night you will go to your precincts polling place for your party and cast your vote for who you think should be the party’s nominee for President of the United States.
Several candidates have made their way around the county and through the coverage areas of our partner newspapers. If you’re still unsure of who to caucus for, here are some stories that may refresh your memories.
Dallas County appearances:
- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush made an appearance at the Waukee Fire Department back on Nov. 11, 2015 and held a town hall meeting. He talked primarily about national security saying “I do not believe the United States should be the world’s policeman, but as I said last night (in the GOP Debate), we need to lead the world if we want to create a safe, secure world for our families.”
- Sen. Rand Paul held a Stand With Rand event at the Waukee Public Library back on Dec. 4, 2015 and talked about immigration and gun control among other things. He said “To have a wide open border with no rules, I think, is a mistake. There are about 34 countries that have significant radical jihadist movements… So when someone wants to immigrate from one of those countries I would think we need to know who they are.”
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie held a town hall meeting at Mickey’s Irish Pub in Waukee back on Dec. 30, 2015 where he expressed the importance of engaging the people and listening to them. He said “After about six months as governor I realized that you can become very isolated in that job. You’re in those black SUVs all the time, they bring you up to the back door of everything… I’ve walked through every kitchen of every catering hall in New Jersey in the last six years. You don’t live a real life. After six months as governor I realized that I need a way to get interaction from the people that I work for, so I said ‘let’s start doing town hall meetings. Let’s travel around the state.”
- Sen. Bernie Sanders did a phone interview with the Dallas County News and held a town hall meeting at the McCreary Community Building in Perry on Jan. 11.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held a “Get Out The Caucus” event at Adel Family Fun Center on Jan. 27. She discussed having a higher tax rate and fewer loopholes for the rich, saying “The days have to be over where someone making a million dollars or more is actually paying a lower tax rate than a secretary, a nurse, a firefighter, a police officer, a teacher and I’m going to implement the ‘Buffet Rule.’ It is time to say enough is enough”
- Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina hosted a town hall meeting in Waukee on Jan. 27 and talked about the need for new leadership. She said “I’m running for President because we can solve every one of these problems. We actually can. But we can not solve these problems unless we remember who we are… You know who we are? You know who we are intended to be? We the people. We are intended to be a citizen government.”
Boone News-Republican (Limited number of free articles before subscription required):
- Sen. Ted Cruz visited King’s Christian Book Store in Boone on Jan. 4.
- Sen. Marco Rubio held a town hall meeting at the Fareway Education Center in Boone on Dec. 4, 2015.
- Sen. Rick Santorum made a stop for a town hall meeting in Boone on Jan. 11.
Ames Tribune (10 free articles over 30 days before subscription required):
- Former Gov. of Maryland Martin O’Malley visited Ames on Wednesday, Jan. 27.
- Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson visited City Church of Ames for a town hall meeting on Jan. 24.
- Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee visited Jeff’s Pizza in Ames to speak on Jan. 27.
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich visited Ames and spoke at Iowa State University back on Nov. 30, 2015.
- Businessman Donald Trump received the endorsement of former Vice Presidential Candidate and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin at a rally in Ames on Jan. 19.