Iowans arrested in U.S. Capitol attack: Details emerge on Deborah and Salvador Sandoval; Doug Jensen to remain in custody
Salvador Sandoval Jr., who was arrested in connection to the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol attack, allegedly assaulted multiple law enforcement officers inside the Capitol, according to a new affidavit filed in the case.
The affidavit also said the FBI investigators who brought charges against Salvador Sandoval and his mother received multiple tips connecting them to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.
In the affidavit made public Tuesday, FBI agent Eric Lopez wrote that both Deborah and Salvador Sandoval posted photos or sent videos of themselves on social networks during and after the attack on the Capitol building.
Deborah Sandoval, 54, of Des Moines shared a video taken inside the Capitol Crypt, which investigators were able to match with surveillance footage of that part of the building. In a message sent to another social media user, who later shared it with the FBI, Sandoval stated that “This is history in the making Saving America," the affidavit said.
Her son, who is 23 and lives in Ankeny, shared a video on a different social media platform in which he said he "got pepper sprayed in the face and mouth … Got out cause I could hear a break, and there's still people inside." Investigators matched him by his clothing and other accessories to his appearance in Capitol surveillance video.
According to the affidavit, the younger Sandoval shoved two law enforcement officers inside the Capitol and attempted to pull free a shield held by a third.
The new documents follow the arrest of both Sandovals by the FBI on Friday.
Deborah Sandoval has been charged with entering a restricted building, impeding the orderly conduct of government, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. Salvador Sandoval is charged with obstructing law enforcement, entering a restricted building, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.
The Sandovals are two of the four Iowans who have been arrested in the Capitol attack, which led to five deaths and interrupted the official counting of President Joe Biden's electoral college votes.
Judge says Doug Jensen has a 'willingness to use force to accomplish' revolution
A judge in the case of another accused Capitol rioter from Iowa, Doug Jensen, wrote that there is little evidence Jensen does not still believe in the use of force to accomplish "revolution."
The Des Moines man attained notoriety during and after the Jan. 6 insurrection after images widely spread online showed him confronting law enforcement in the Capitol building and leading a mob that pursued one officer up a flight of stairs. He has been charged with seven crimes related to the attack, including civil disorder, impeding or assaulting officers, obstructing an official proceeding and entering a restricted building with a deadly or dangerous weapon.
For subscribers:What we know about the four Iowans charged in U.S. Capitol riot
Jensen was previously ordered held pending trial, and at a hearing Tuesday, his attorneys did not contest that decision, although they said they reserve the right to do so if new information emerges. In an order confirming Jensen's continued detention, the judge referenced Jensen's comment to investigators that he is "all about a revolution" and his adherence to the QAnon conspiracy theory.
"At this point the Court has no basis to conclude that Mr. Jensen’s interest in “revolution” against the United States government and his willingness to use force to accomplish that goal have come to an end," Judge Timothy Kelly wrote.
Court records show Jensen entered not guilty pleas to all charges Tuesday. He is due back in court March 25.
Both Sandovals were scheduled to appear in person Thursday morning in Des Moines federal court, before appearing online in District of Columbia district court that afternoon. Court records show that Salvador Sandoval waived his initial identity hearing and his case has been ordered transferred to D.C. authorities.
Both have been released from custody on their promise to appear.
A fourth Iowa suspect, Cedar Rapids' Leo Kelly, has been charged with entering a restricted building and violent entry to disrupt official business at the Capitol. He has been released from custody and is scheduled to appear next in D.C. court on March 8. In an interview the evening of the attack, Kelly claimed he had entered the Capitol and took part in a prayer on the floor of the Senate chamber.
Nationwide, prosecutors have brought charges against at least 240 people who took part in the riot. Four people died during the attack, and more than 100 police officers reportedly were injured. Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick died the following day.
William Morris covers courts for the Des Moines Register. He can be contacted at email@example.com, 715-573-8166 or on Twitter at @DMRMorris.