What are the 10 largest lottery jackpots ever won in the United States?
One lucky person woke up nearly $700 million richer when a ticket in California matched all six numbers drawn in the Powerball jackpot on Monday.
The winner won against slim chances – the overall odds of winning any Powerball prize are 1 in 24.9 million, according to Powerball. Lottery officials said the lucky ticket was sold in an Albertsons grocery store in Morro Bay, a city on the coast about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
The previous Powerball jackpot win came in the June 5 drawing for $285.6 million. The ticket was bought in Florida.
But this week's jackpot is only the seventh-largest in the U.S. lottery history.
What's left to win? Powerball jackpot still at play with $670 million at stake in lottery
We have a winner! Ticket sold in California wins $699.8 million Powerball jackpot
Here's a look at the 10 largest jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
3. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
4. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
5. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
6. $731.1 million, Powerball, Jan. 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
7. $699.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
8. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
9. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
10. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
Follow Gabriela Miranda on Twitter: @itsgabbymiranda